Saturday, March 27, 2010

Getting My Feet/Left Foot Wet

Saturday, March 27, 2010… I finally got a chance to climb the steps at Target Field. Orientation is over, alcohol training is complete, and I have learned the entire history of DNC (the concession company at TF) twice… It is time to take my first steps in the new stadium.

Wait a minute; these stairs are not the same as they were in the Dome.

I used to know every step at Metrodome. After 21 years, I could have probably vended in my sleep and not stumbled. Honestly, I could tell you every spot in the Dome that had a step over 10” deep. There were a half dozen of these oddball steps, and they were marked by yellow tape so fans didn’t trip. People in sections 117 and 118 used to count the number of people fell each night on a step about 14 rows up. Seriously!

Each stair at the Dome was a step down or a step up (depending on your direction *chuckle*) just like the stairs in your house.

This stadium is different.

The steps in the lower level are long. 2 steps across and then 1 step down. It is brutal. I feel like Mr. Krabs from Spongebob walking down the aisles. Left, Right, Down, Right, Down, Right, Down, Right. My left foot was taking all the impact because of the design of the building.

By the 3rd inning, I was noticing a definite favoring of my left leg and tried to switch it up. It wasn’t easy. Target Field has a railing in the middle of every aisle, on every level, whether it is needed or not. Leading with my right foot either caused me to hit the post, or the fan in the aisle seat. (I’ll save that story for later)
­­­­
This stadium will take a lot of getting used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment